The English alphabetThe English alphabet consists of 26 letters:
- uppercase or capital letters: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z;
- lowercase or sentence case letters: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z.
Listen to the pronunciation and the spelling of words that start with the letters from the alphabet.
- A = [eɪ] (a-n-d, a-f-t-e-r, a-p-p-l-e)
- B = [biː] (b-a-n-a-n-a, b-a-t-h-r-o-o-m, b-o-y)
- C = [siː] (c-a-r, c-o-a-t, c-o-l-o-u-r)
- D = [diː] (d-o-g, d-r-e-a-m, d-o-l-l-a-r)
- E = [iː] (e-l-e-p-h-a-n-t, e-y-e, e-x-t-r-e-m-e)
- F = [ɛf] (f-i-n-g-e-r, f-o-u-r, f-i-r-e)
- G = [dʒiː] (g-i-r-a-f-f-e, g-i-r-l, g-r-e-e-n)
- H = [eɪtʃ] (h-o-t-e-l, h-a-p-p-y, h-o-l-i-d-a-y)
- I = [aɪ] (i-m-a-g-e, i-s-l-a-n-d, I-n-d-i-a-n-a)
- J = [dʒeɪ] (j-u-n-g-l-e, j-o-l-l-y, J-o-s-e-p-h-i-n-e)
- K = [keɪ] (k-a-n-g-a-r-o-o, k-o-a-l-a, k-a-r-a-t-e)
- L = [ɛl] (l-o-w, l-e-v-e-l, l-i-o-n)
- M = [ɛm] (m-o-t-h-e-r, m-o-m-e-n-t, m-e-s-s)
- N = [ɛn] (n-o, n-i-g-h-t, n-o-o-n)
- O = [oʊ] (o-l-d, o-b-j-e-c-t, o-a-t)
- P = [piː] (p-e-n-g-u-i-n-e, p-i-a-n-o, p-a-c-k-e-t)
- Q = [kjuː] (q-u-i-e-t, Q-u-e-e-n, q-u-o-t-e)
- R = [ɑr] (r-e-d, r-i-g-h-t, r-a-b-b-i-t)
- S = [ɛs] (s-t-r-o-n-g, s-e-v-e-n, s-i-l-v-e-r)
- T = [tiː] (t-e-a, t-h-o-u-s-a-n-d, t-w-o)
- U = [juː] (u-s-e, u-n-f-a-i-r, u-n-d-e-r)
- V = [viː] (v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n, v-e-r-y, v-a-m-p-i-r-e)
- W = [ˈdʌbəl juː] say: double-ju (w-e-s-t, w-o-r-m, w-h-i-t-e)
- X = [ɛks] (X-r-a-y, x-y-l-o-p-h-o-n-e, X-m-a-s)
- Y = [waɪ] (y-a-r-d, y-e-l-l-o-w, y-e-a-h)
- Z = [zɛd] in British English, [ziː] in American English (z-e-r-o, z-e-b-r-a, z-i-l-l-i-o-n)
Spell the following words. That means: pronounce every single letter on its own. Afterwards you can listen to the correct spelling.
Imagine you are on holiday and would like to check into a hotel. The receptionist asks "What's your name?". You tell them your name and they ask "How do you spell that?". In this situation you will have to pronounce every single letter, in the same way as it is displayed above. Here you can listen to a sample solution.